Outstanding Topics for Argumentative Essay
Students think that argumentative essay writing appears to be a very tough feat without proper support and guidance. A majority of the argumentative essay topics look lengthy and cumbersome. Without awareness about the intricacies and particularities involves in this particular type of work, you too will feel lost in a maze of ideas. Lots of skills are involved in the arguments: having or coming up with a claim, analyzing the pros and cons, defending your argument through critical thought, reasoning and convincing skills, proof, taking into accounts both sides of the dispute, and reaching a conclusion. If you are aware of what you have to do, writing on argument essay topics becomes easy.
What Is A Good Argumentative Essay Topic?
Many a student wonders what is a good argumentative essay topic to work with, what does a well structured essay looks like, etc.? Well, it’s not that big of a deal. There are lots of good argumentative essay topics to choose from, but you have to pick one which you can easily write an essay on.
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
Want to know what happens to be some good argumentative essay topics to pen an essay on? Let’s see:
- Fast food is making America fat.
- Parents need to be very friendly with their kids.
- Are smartphones harmful to our health?
- Education needs to be free for all.
- Is single-sex education still a good idea in 2020?
- Should all people pursue a university degree worldwide?
- Internet access must be unlimited and free.
- Modern education has to eliminate grading systems.
- Capitalism should acquire more socially-significant policies.
- Tourist tax is mandatory to save cultural heritage.
- Kindergartens must introduce foreign language instruction.
- Is hunting good for environmental well-being?
- Using animals for research must be banned.
- One’s physical attributes have implications on the occupation.
- Women perform better than men on the official positions and occupations.
Argument Essay Topics by Education Level
Ideas for argumentative essay writing have greater variety, and they are given in relation to their suitability to different education levels.
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School
Following are some examples for middle school:
- Should parents let kids use the internet unsupervised?
- Are video games making kids smarter or are they affecting their attention spans?
- Should schools abolish homework? Give reasons to support your answer.
- Is bullying a serious problem?
- Must school cafeterias provide students with healthy lunches?
- Homeschoolers are diligent and hard working.
- Should video games be regulated at school?
- Soccer is the most resource-demanding sport.
- 9. Video games are beneficial but not harmful.
- The world will be a better place if we protect the environment.
- Physical activities as the most convenient way to relax.
- The best way to enhance education is to decrease the number of classes.
- Sports classes should become mandatory for everybody.
- The pros of using gadgets for studying purposes.
- Should tattoos be perceived as a social deviation?
- Dieting must not be practiced by schoolers.
Argumentative Essay Topics for College
Argumentative essay topics for college students to help them discuss things they feel deeply about and defend or condemn. Appropriate writing argumentative essay topics are:
- Do paparazzi have the right to pursue celebrities?
- It’s okay to date multiple people at the same time.
- Standardized testing is the best way to judge your potential.
- The college admission process is competitive.
- The legal age of drinking should be lower.
- It’s best for students not to have the opportunity to choose courses.
- A gap year should be popularized before entering an educational institution.
- The primary mission of a college is to prepare yourself to the workforce.
- College athletes should pass the classes similarly to regular students.
- To encourage integrity, any student caught cheating should be immediately dismissed.
- Students should not be penalized for bad performance.
- College admission procedures must become more transparent and easily trackable.
- Is student loan truly a financial burden for the rest of life?
- Single-sex schools are sexist and old-fashioned.
- Students should receive governmental assistance.
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School
These argument topics give high school students a great chance to develop their views and present them:
- School proms are disappointing. Do you agree or disagree?
- Studying arts and music is very important. Argue in favor or against.
- Teens commit suicide due to pressure to get good grades.
- Should parents lay down curfew hours or not?
- Schools should impose stricter rules concerning food.
- Schoolers spend too much time in front of their cellphones.
- Cheerleading shouldn’t be considered a sport.
- Private schools are not obligatory better than ordinary ones.
- School uniform should be introduced in all public schools.
- Students are becoming less religious with each generation.
- High schools often disregard one’s potential due to bureaucracy.
- The optimal size for a class is ten schoolers.
- Do high schoolers truly know the history of their state?
- Schools are backpedaling in adapting new technologies within the in-class setting.
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics By Subject
There are five types of claims in which an argument can be placed. Each claim is being elaborated through an example topic:
A claim of definition: What is euthanasia?
A claim of cause: What causes it?
A claim of value: What are its moral implications?
A claim of policy: Should there be laws on it?
A claim of fact: What’s the statistical ratio of people going for it?
Medical Argumentative Essay Topics
Here are a few medical ideas you can use for your write-up:
- Do people need greater cancer awareness? Why?
- Abortion is a woman’s right over her body. Do you agree?
- Should there be a moral judgment around euthanasia?
- Cannabis should be prescribed as painkiller freely.
- Generics should be barred by the FDA.
- Everyone has a moral responsibility to donate blood.
- HIV is falsely associated with homosexuals. Why?
- The birth control pills must be closely regulated to ensure consumer’s safety.
- Strain injuries are the logical consequences of personal computer use.
- Dentistry insurance should become equally distributed.
- Effective medicines are not always those from the advertisements.
- Workplaces should provide more sick leaves to the employees.
- Everybody should be taxed to contribute to medical research.
- The primary reason for all health-related problems is lifestyle.
- Why are the laws neglect prohibiting tobacco and alcohol?
Music Essay Topics
These essay topics related to music can lead you to find a topic for argumentative essay:
- Blues make us feel depressed.
- Music is a therapy that can be used for illness.
- Music should be played in an examination room to help students focus better.
- Distribution of music should be free.
- Music preferences reflect personality.
- Are Musical skills the result of talent or hard work?
- The best way to learn music is to enroll in a specialized music course.
- Why should music become mandatory in a college education?
- How many of those talented musicians remained unnoticed?
- Music has psychological implications, which should be studied more thoroughly.
- The best way to play music is to create a band.
- Music benefits one’s social life. How?
- May music change customer’s consumer preferences?
- The music industry should not be associated with music as a form of art.
- Most of the modern-time artists are the one-hit wonders.
Sports Essay Topics
Let’s see a few hot sport-related issues to work on:
- Cheerleading should be banned.
- Boxing is a dangerous sport.
- Students who are athletes don’t have to take exams.
- Should athletes be allowed to use steroids?
- Women in sports – are they as good as men?
- The best way to succeed in sports is to be born talented.
- Racial differences play a considerable role in professional sports. Why?
- Why should everybody try swimming?
- Might sport become the next universal language worldwide?
- The reasons to perceive coaches less professional than players.
- The most hailed sports players aren’t necessarily the best.
- Big money is something that ruins the sport’s competitive essence.
- Fans should not judge players after losses or failures.
- Why are sportspeople more social and proactive?
- The pros and cons of sports as a key to positive self-esteem.
You need to have background knowledge for dealing with an American history topic like the ones underneath:
- America’s Foreign policy over the years: Strengths and weaknesses.
- Who has been the best American president and why?
- Landing on the moon. Did it happen or not?
- How slavery impacted America.
- The Vietnam War and its impact.
- Cold War wasn’t solely the victory of the US.
- American policies towards indigenous populations were justified: true or false?
- How the discourse of the American Revolution impacted the French Revolution?
- Woodrow Wilson as the greatest American politician.
- In what ways industrialization boosted urbanization?
- The state borders: Reasons for being disputed.
- Why New York City developed most significantly over time?
- Awareness became the reason for the construction of the national parks in the US.
- Was the American involvement in the Korean War necessary?
- The union workers gave the rise of similar movements across the globe: true or false?
Psychology topics are interesting and allow for a decent well-grounded piece. Here are some suggestions for your paper:
- Parents are responsible for their kids’ mental health
- Stress is good as it makes us perform better.
- Divorce doesn’t impact children.
- Anorexia can be overcome through will power.
- Punishment is useful for raising obedient kids.
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs should be revised in the 21st century.
- Personality tests are harmful and impractical.
- Traumatic events should be vividly discussed, but not concealed.
- Lying is natural and widespread. Why?
- Optimism may be good for your health.
- Should psychology be regarded as a scientific discipline?
- How to treat cognitive disorders?
- The tensest psychological issues in modern psychology.
- How to know that’s the right time to study psychology.
- Sleeping disorders: Health issue or individual problem?
Choose Your Topic About Animals
Care for animals and their right? See the following:
- It’s ok to test cosmetics on animals.
- Slaughtering animals as a sacrifice is barbaric.
- Endangered animals don’t need to be saved.
- Hunting is a good hobby.
- Keeping animals encaged in zoos is cruel.
- People shouldn’t use exotic animals as pets.
- The best way is to adopt, not to buy.
- Circuses must be eliminated without any exceptions.
- The best sign of love for an animal is patience.
- Zoos remind concentration camps, but for animals. Why?
- The reasons for having an animal.
- How may animals improve your mood and health?
- People who love animals are generally kinder and more optimistic. Is it true?
- Allergy to animals is a valid reason for not having one.
- Animals should have their identity cards and passports worldwide.
Immigration argument topics are an area with room for debate. See a few ideas:
- Immigrants shouldn’t be given citizenship.
- Building a wall on the border is a great idea.
- Immigrants are stealing our jobs.
- Immigration policies are unfair to US citizens.
- Immigrants resist getting assimilated in the culture of their adopted country.
- Trump’s Wall: Inadequate announcement or a feasible policy?
- High-qualified immigrants should be given citizenship.
- Multiculturalism may change public attitude to immigration as a whole.
- What are the reasons for the US of having such a prolonged and troublesome history over immigration?
- Illegal immigration is still decent for the host state’s economy.
- Asylum seekers shouldn’t be associated with immigrants.
- When will the world have open borders? Is it possible?
- Immigration policies are impossible to be designed in a way to satisfy everybody. Why?
- Immigration is a crucial reason for the demographic boom.
- Why should immigration be even more strictly regulated?
These technology-related ideas are based on contemporary issues:
- Online activism is enough to show one’s involvement.
- It’s impossible to survive with smartphones anymore.
- Trolling others is an innocent action.
- Facebook and Instagram make people feel lonely?
- AI will eventually become superior to human intelligence.
- Technology is capable of draining one’s life energy. How?
- Social networks are best established online.
- The drive for technology is a road to progress. Why?
- Modern technologies are capable of erasing cultural distinctions.
- Technology eventually makes people less creative and imaginative.
- How electronic devices impact the human body?
- Are children becoming more socialized while using gadgets?
- Is a life without modern technology possible?
- Technologies are best utilized if used meaningfully.
- How the Internet changed the world once and forever?
Pick Out Argumentative Philosophy Essay Topic
The following philosophy statements can be debated upon:
- Are religion and philosophy opposed to each other?
- Human beings are evil by nature.
- Happiness stems from money.
- Does having a conscience increases life’s burdens?
- Is beauty indeed in the eye of the beholder?
- What is the true purpose of our existence?
- Philosophy is falsely considered to be the first of the sciences.
- Most of the classic philosophers’ ideas are irrelevant now.
- Is ageism a real thing? How should it be eliminated?
- Is morality essential to humans? Why?
- Should philosophy be perceived as the ancestor of religion?
- Might atheism be logically considered a belief?
- Should philosophers be regarded as the contemporary masterminds?
- Is morality more related to one’s character or education?
- Should patriotism be associated with virtue?
- Why is philosophy a next-level discipline?
A few science issues you can write actively on are:
- Burning fossil fuels is bad for the environment.
- Should we monitor our carbon footprint?
- Genetic engineering can help in the creation of designer babies.
- Cloning is for the good of the human race.
- Oil drilling should be banned.
- Can wars be won merely by bombing?
- Environmental concerns are hard to justify.
- Do vaccines really cause autism and related health issues?
- What’s the reason to backpedal cloning?
- What alternative sources of energy should be developed?
- How may genetic engineering contribute to the emergence of more advanced humans?
- The best way to cope with global warming is to track one’s activities.
- Lifestyle details and nuances are the natural consequence of the DNA code.
- How long will it take to introduce the language of coding as a universal one?
- What are the drawbacks of using artificial intelligence?
Fun and Interesting Argumentative Essay Topics In 2020
Following are a few interesting argumentative essay topics:
- Books are not the only things that give us knowledge.
- Why every student should give nootropics a try.
- What does free speech really mean?
- Why studying at night is the best way to study?
- Should your parents be on the contact list of your social media account?
- Why so many people tend using dating services such as Tinder?
- Blondes are not stupid at all. Are they?
- What’s the point of televising poker as a sport?
- What you consider as humor, one may regard as a bad taste.
- Don’t take your life too seriously; it will end after all.
- The best way to get more Valentine Cards is to be more social.
- Before Instagram, people shared real-life photo cards. What was so romantic about that?
- How auto-correct may ruin your career?
- Never start anything on Monday. You will ultimately fail.
- Men tend to gossip more than women.
Didn’t find an appropriate topic? Learn more about persuasive topics for an essay.
A Few Words About Argumentative Essay Structure
One of the best ways to cope with an argumentative essay is to get acquainted with a common structure of such a task. If given a choice to be more flexible with an argument essay structure, try using the following pattern in your essay topics:
- Start with the Introduction, which will shed light on the subject matter.
- Craft a thesis statement where you favor one position over another by listing the arguments.
- The mentioned arguments will become your body paragraphs. The claims and counterclaims will be included there to represent the controversial essence of the matter.
- Conclude with a convincing recap of what idea you maintained and supported throughout the essay. Also, don’t forget to make your writing persuasive and backed-up with decent sources.
Claim Of Policy
The claim of policy essay generally focuses on illustrating why certain circumstances should exist. Read on to get acquainted with the best claim of policy essay topics:
- Why should prisoners be allowed to vote?
- What is required to ensure just elections?
- Gun carry should be allowed only with an appropriate license.
- What might be needed to impose a new public policy?
- In what ways do media sources blur the image of the reality?
- How should the state cope with increasing crime rates?
- The best solution to crime is the decriminalization of most regulations.
- States should initiate armed conflicts when other states pose considerable threats.
- The electoral college doesn’t work properly. Why?
- The main practices of political compromise may hurt ordinary individuals. How?
- National policies may increase citizens’ welfare if they’re properly designed.
- The only reason to impose anti-immigration laws is to enhance national security.
- What’s the main condition of a proper territorial administration?
- How to overcome the national debt threat? In what ways its extent is terrific?
- The best precaution of the long-run economic growth is the stability of the state’s economic sectors.
Pros And Cons Topics
Pros and cons essays are best for assessing the positives and negatives of a certain condition, which may be best for controversial matters. The best pros and cons essays, as follows:
- Pros and Cons of social media use
- Pros and Cons of having an extended family.
- Pros and Cons of moving abroad.
- Pros and Cons of animal testing.
- Pros and Cons of abortions.
- Pros and Cons of vaccines for kids.
- Pros and Cons of medical marijuana.
- Pros and Cons of the Olympics.
- Pros and Cons of the universal basic income.
- Pros and Cons of the concealed handguns.
- Pros and Cons of gun control.
- Pros and Cons of the school uniforms.
- Pros and Cons of the vegetarianism.
- Pros and Cons of school vouchers.
- Pros and Cons of free college access.
Tips for Writing An Argumentative Essay
A few handy tips to ace your write-up:
- Write from your heart.
- Your topic needs to have two sides or a scope to be debated upon.
- Preset both the sides of the argument before supporting one.
- Support your position through substantiation.
- Don’t summarize or paraphrase things.
If given a choice, try to go for a topic for argumentative essay that you feel deeply about. Convey your feelings in your writing in different types of academic essays. When you have a unique topic, research it, collect evidence, develop an emphatic stance and attempt to defend it in front of the reader. Tell your readers why you are right!