How To Write A Process Essay: Detailed Manual
Writing an essay is a huge part of your college education. Every university makes its students write an essay on different subjects and topics to test their learning, critical thinking abilities and knowledge about the particular topic. Throughout your academic life, you’ll need to write down all sorts of papers such as expository, argumentative, etc. A process essay is one such essay every student has to write during school or college years. Therefore, it is crucial to know different steps to describe the different processes correctly. So, in this article, we provide an exhaustive guide on how to write a good process essay.
What Is A Process Essay?
Before you jump on writing, it is important to know – what is a process analysis essay. A process essay is also known as a HOW-TO essay. As the name suggests, this essay describes a procedure of doing something. It gives step-by-step instructions that show how to perform a task or a project.
This type of essay serves to inform readers on how to do something and teach them the steps to reach a specific goal. A strong essay leads its readers through the task and guarantees their success. It is mostly used to inform new and inexperienced people about a certain task. Some of the examples include – a recipe, user’s guide, security instructions, instruction manual, etc.
Some of the process essay topics are:
- How to operate a machine?
- How to make pancakes?
- How is maple syrup produced?
- How to put gas in a car?
- How do you make frosting for cookies?
Prepare Process Essay Outline
An outline or a template includes a few short sentences on what you are planning to write in the content. The process analysis essay outline is helpful in any situation associated with writing and also helps to improve the structure of your piece. Every process is different, however, the structure remains the same. Most good essays follow this common outline:
- Introduction – tell about what you are going to discuss;
- Body – describe the process step-by-step;
- Conclusion – sum up and describe the results.
After preparing the outline, go through it again to make sure that you haven’t missed out any point. You can also add more details that you don’t want to leave out.
Types Of Process Essay Writing
There are mainly two types of writing for a process essay – how to do something and how something works.
- How to do something
The purpose of this type is to inform someone how to do a particular task or a project. The reader should be able to follow the steps clearly and successfully achieve their goals. Examples include:
- How to repair your phone
- How to cut an onion
- How to create a DIY notebook
- How to book flight tickets
- How to tidy up your room effectively
- How Something Works
This type of process writing is designed to inform readers about how a particular thing works. The reader will not necessarily do everything described in the essay but will only read it, and, hopefully, understand the process successfully. Here are some examples of what your potential readers may be interested in:
- How a motor generator works
- How presidential elections happen
- How evaporation occurs
- How the car engine works
- How a plant grows
How To Start A Process Essay?
Before you put pen to paper, you should know how to structure an essay properly. The process of writing this write-up is quite simple, but only if you follow an effective step-by-step approach that allows for producing an outstanding essay. Below are some guidelines every student must follow while writing an essay:
It is the most important part of any essay. A good introduction generates interest in the reader about your process and also sets the tone of the essay. The introductory part serves the purpose to inform the readers what they can expect from the essay and why they need this knowledge. This part is generally shorter than the body paragraph as it includes:
- Hook – The first sentence that interests the readers.
- Identification – Brief introduction to the process.
- Thesis statement – Last line of the introduction that tells the readers how to solve the problem.
- Body Paragraphs
It is the part where you’ll explain all the steps of doing a task in greater detail. The number of paragraphs your essay will depend on the stages of the process you are describing. However, make sure that each paragraph is not too lengthy and complex to read. For example, if you’re writing about how to make a pizza, divide the process into different paragraphs such as – how to make the pizza dough, how to make the pizza sauce, etc.
Keep your outline beside you while writing the body, so you don’t skip any important steps and ensure that they are in the correct order.
Moreover, each paragraph should consist of the necessary details for the process to be completed successfully. These include the tools and equipment required to perform the task, as well as the difficulties that the reader may face.
After explaining the whole process, write a confident conclusion. This part should be short and to the point and must give an idea to the reader of what the end result will look like. The conclusion mainly consists of a summary of the main idea of the text and the thesis statement. You can also restate some highlights and the overall purpose of the task. Make sure the readers feel they have learned something by going through your text.
- Write A Thesis Statement
The thesis statement is the last line of the introduction and also the most important line of the whole essay. It serves to inform the readers about the purpose of your paper, the problem, and the steps to solve it.
- Use Transitions Writing A Process Analysis Essay
To create a well-structured essay, introduce each step using transition or signal words such as next, now, so that, then, immediately, later, eventually, etc. For example, tap on the text icon on the right-hand corner of your screen. Then, type your text using different fonts. Using transition words make the steps flow one after the other and motivate your readers to read the whole paper.
Proofread Your Process Analysis Essay
Once you are done writing, the next important step is to proofread your essay carefully. Proofreading means to examine your text to find and fix different grammatical errors, typos, spelling and style mistakes. Proofreading a paper before you submit it can mean the difference between a disastrous essay and a brilliant one. Many students skip this step while writing. Remember, proofreading is as important as writing your essay.
Here are some tips that you can follow while proofreading your essays:
- Read your essay very carefully to detect and correct any mistakes.
- Use simple language that is easily readable by your audience.
- Avoid the use of complex and difficult vocabulary
- Eliminate repetitions as it makes the essay boring. You can use a thesaurus to search for synonyms of common words.
- Run a spell checker to fix some mistakes.
- Make sure the grammar is flawless before submitting your write-up.
Some students find it difficult to complete and proofread these essays on time because they have to make time for other important things as well such as social life, sports, hobbies, family, etc. In such a situation, you can get the help of writing services available online that can not only help you to write different types of essays but also submit these before the deadlines. You can search ‘write my essay online’ on Google and choose the service according to your needs and requirements.
Tips For Writing A Process Essay
In addition to the above steps, implement the following tips to write an effective process essay:
- Research thoroughly before writing
- Determine who your target audience is and what they expect from your paper. Assume that your readers don’t know a single detail about the subject, so you don’t miss out any point.
- Clearly mention the purpose of each step of the process.
- Write all the steps in chronological order.
- Your essay should be precise and to the point.
- Provide definitions of all uncommon words.
- Create a list of all the tools and equipment used in the process.
- List all the dangers and precautions to be taken while doing the process.
- Avoid using imperative sentences. Otherwise, it will appear like an instruction manual and not an essay.
- Also, provide your readers with a time estimate of the task.
Now you know that writing a process essay is quite simple. Once you prepare an outline of the points you want to include in your content, you can easily write a good, detailed and well-structured paper without missing an important point. Therefore, as long as you follow the above tips, you will be able to craft a perfect essay.